This Simple Fly Fishing Kit includes an 10’ 6” tenkara rod (the perfect all around length for fishing with nymphs, soft hackles, streamers and big dry flies like hoppers) and everything you need to make a more direct connection to the fly fishing experience (just add tippet). At the heart of the kit is Simple Fly Fishing: Techniques for Tenkara and Rod & Reel, the most comprehensive book available on the subject of simple fly fishing and specifically the tenkara technique. Written by Yvon Chouinard, Craig Mathews and Mauro Mazzo with paintings by James Prosek, the book covers wet fly, nymph and dry fly fishing. Simple Fly Fishing clears the fog of complexity that often surrounds the sport and delivers simple explanation and easy-to-understand instruction. Readers new to the sport can be fishing effectively within an hour; expert fly fishers will learn why these techniques work in highly technical situations when nothing else will. Also included in the kit is our tenkara line with rigging instructions (designed by Cortland specifically for our rods); a 7.5’ 3x tapered leader; a box of one-dozen soft hackle flies covering the range of hatches most commonly encountered (three of each pattern: Mormon Girl, Pheasant Tail, Peacock, and Hare’s Ear) and a quick set up guide that gets you rigged up and fishing in minutes.
- Simple Fly Fishing: Techniques for Tenkara and Rod & Reel (paperback)
- 10’6” tenkara rod telescopes down to 20.5”; flor grade cork handle; line keeper on butt section for easy streamside setup; includes spare tip and second section; rod sock has built-in line holder to organize line when not in use
- Level-floating .027” tenkara line made from small diameter hard mono core with supple PVC coating; slightly stiffer line drapes from rod tip with less sag; includes enough line to cut into a 20’ section for typical wet and dry fly fishing, a 12’ section for small creeks or nymphing, with remainder for use as an extender section
- Pre-looped 7.5’ 3x tapered leader
- Box of one dozen soft-hackle flies, three of each pattern: Mormon Girl, Pheasant Tail, Peacock, and Hare’s Ear; all flies tied on #12 hooks
- Quick set up guide
- 1094 g (39 oz)