January 19, 2020 -
It’s late January and we’ve been having some great weather here in the Madison Valley. The sun has been shining, temperatures are in the 40s, and virtually no wind make for great winter fishing conditions. Many anglers have been getting out to take full advantage. Mixed reports coming in on quantities, but we’ve been seeing a lot of quality fish being caught.
The key right now is nymphing deeper pocket water. Euro rigs and indicator style fishing are producing the best results. Red Beadhead San Juan Worms and the Delektable Mega Prince are a couple safe bets. Copper Johns, Flashback Pheasant Tails, and smaller Zebra Midges can get it done as well. We have had sporadic reports of midges hatching, so keep your eyes open on the cloudy days for bugs coming off. #18 and #20 BWO and Adams patterns tossed to rising fish for the win.
January Weather Recap provided by Tom DiMeola
Strange weather month in January with way above normal mean low, mean high and mean average temperatures. We only hit 7 degrees for the lowest temp yet only 49 degrees for the highest temperature.
For all intents and purposes we had no precipitation with only 0.01 measured and ½ inch of snow in town. As we all noticed it was the windiest January I have recorded with 19 days with winds over 30 mph and 8 days with gusts over 40 mph.
- The mean Low temperature of 23.03 was 5.31 degrees above my 18 year average of 17.72 degrees F.
- The mean Average temperature of 30.34 was 3.77 degrees above my 18 year average of 26.57 degrees F.
- The mean High temperature of 37.65 was 2.22 degrees above my 18 year average of 35.43 degrees F.
- 19 Days with wind gusts over 30 MPH, the most I have ever recorded in my 18 years of records.
- No days zero or below. Only the 3rd time in 18 years without a zero or below zero temperature recorded.
- 0.01 measured precipitation. The lowest in my 18 years of records.
Come on down to Ennis and stop by the shop for some flies and current conditions. Don’t let the weather stop you, get out and get ‘er done!
Check out our Madison River Fishing Report for the latest!